Commitment in Mission and Ministry (80061-GA-R9999)
Whereas, The mission of The United Methodist Church is to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world; and
Whereas, The Council of Bishops has expressed a vision of mission and ministry that articulates the aspirations and ministries prevalent across The United Methodist connection, and the general agencies have responded by identifying four areas of emphasis that live out the vision for the current quadrennium and beyond; and
Whereas, The spirit of collaboration and shared ministry through the Council of Bishops, the Connectional Table, the general agencies, and the annual conferences is infusing new energy and recommitment to assure vitality and effectiveness across the connection; and
Whereas, The following five areas of emphasis provide crucial avenues for shared labor and witness:
1. Leadership development, with particular focus on leading the United Methodist way of discipleship,
2. Congregational development and new church starts,
3. Ministry with the poor, with particular attention to caring for and protecting children;
4. Global health, by confronting the diseases of poverty and health-care access for all; and
5. Sound environmental stewardship, with particular focus on the issues pertaining to global warming.
therefore, be it
Resolved, That the Western North Carolina Conference petition the 2008 General Conference in support of, and commitment to, these five areas of emphasis for this quadrennium.