Petition 80450

Print this page
Submitted TextClose Window X

Definition (80450-MH-ΒΆ347.2)

Amend par. 347.2 (also affects 346.1) as follows:
2.  From Other Methodist Denominations--a) Ordained elders or ordained clergy from other Methodist churches shall be received by transfer into probationary or full conference membership, with the consent of the bishops or other authorities involved, without going through the process required for ministers from other denominations.  "Other Methodist denominations" shall for this purpose be defined as the Pan-Methodist denominations (par. 2403.2), as well as Autonomous Methodist Churches, Affiliated Autonomous Methodist Churches, Affiliated United Churches, and Methodist Churches with Concordat Agreements with The United Methodist Church (pars. 570.1, .2, .3, and .5, 571.2, 574.2b).  The General Commission on Christian Unity and Interreligious Concerns shall provide the General Board of Higher Education and Ministry with a list of denominations that meet this definition.  Prior consultation with the chairperson of the executive committee of the board of ordained ministry shall be held...


Conference Boards of Ordained Ministry need clearer guidance around the meaning of "other Methodist denomination" without having to search the entire Discipline to find it.