The Advance (80402-GM-¶820-$)
Amend ¶820.1 as follows:
“The Advance for Christ and His Church (Hereafter referred to as the Advance) is an official program within The United Methodist Church through which support may be designated for projects approved by the Advance Committee.
Note: Last sentence is currently found in ¶1310.3b
Amend ¶820.2(c) as follows:
“Rather than being given to a specific project, an Advance Special Gift may be given to the following designated programmatic units of the General Board of Global Ministries: Evangelization and Church Growth Program Area, Community and Institutional Ministries Program Area, Mission Contexts and Relationships Program Area, Mission Personnel Program Area, and United Methodist Committee on Relief
and other agencies as are designated . In such cases the agency program unit shall determine the Advance Special project(s) to which such a gift shall be allocated, inform the donor where the gift has been invested, and, as far as practicable, establish communication between donor and recipient.”
Amend ¶820.3(c) as follows:
“Funds received through the Advance shall be used solely for project support and are not to be used for administration or promotional costs. There will be a transaction fee for all online contributions as charged by the financial institution.”
Amend ¶820.3(e) as follows:
“Upon receipt of funds for a general Advance Special, each administering
agency program unit shall communicate promptly with the donor, acknowledging receipt of the gift and suggesting avenues for communication if communication has not already been established.”
Amend the second sentence of ¶820.4 as follows:
“Individual may remit directly to respective
agencies program units in a manner determined by the treasurer of the General Council on Finance and Administration, with these remittances reported to the annual conference treasurer by the respective agencies program units.
Changes in ¶ 821, General Directives
Amend ¶821.2 as follows:
The treasurer of the General Council on Finance and Administration shall be treasurer of the Advance and One Great Hour of Sharing. The treasury function for the Advance is performed by the treasurer of the General Board of Global Ministries on behalf of the General Council on Finance and Administration.
Amend ¶821.3 as follows:
Promotional expenses for Advance Specials shall be borne by the respective participating
agencies units in proportion to the amount received by each in Advance Specials. The causes of the Advance shall be coordinated with other financial appeals and shall be promoted by the General Commission on Communication.
Amend ¶821.6 as follows:
Should a clear emergency arise, any feature of the structure and administration of the Advance may be altered on the approval of a majority of the Council of Bishops and of the General Council on Finance and Administration in consultation with the Advance Committee.
Changes to ¶¶1301-1326, Administrative Order, General Board of Global Ministries.
Cultivation of the Advance shall be through channels of the Church other than United Methodist Women.”
Note: This language is proposed to be incorporated into ¶820.1
Add new paragraph with subparagraphs as follows after ¶1311:
There shall be an Advance Committee, which shall have general oversight of the Advance for Christ and His Church (¶820).
1. The Advance Committee shall be organized under the authority and direction of the General Board of Global Ministries. It shall consist of twenty (20) members as follows: Ten (10) directors of the General Board of Global Ministries; five (5) conference secretaries of global ministries (representing the five jurisdictions and elected by their jurisdictional associations) and five (5) members at large appointed by the Director of the Advance for Christ and His Church in consultation with the General Secretary of the General Board of Global Ministries.
2. Director of the Advance
a) There shall be a Director of the Advance, nominated by the General Secretary and elected by the General Board of Global Ministries. The salary and benefits of the director and other administrative costs of the Advance shall be borne by the General Board of Global Ministries.
b) Responsibilities of the Director of the Advance shall be:
(1) To coordinate the total program of the Advance, including its promotion, cultivation and administration;
(2) To coordinate the staff work required of the participating units of the General Board of Global Ministries within the Advance;
(3) To report directly to the Advance Committee concerning the program and progress of the Advance; and
(4) To keep a record of all general Advance Special projects.
3. General Advance Special Projects. It shall be the responsibility of the Advance Committee to determine which projects are approved to receive general Advance Special Gifts (¶820.2). The Advance fosters partnership between those who give and those who receive, and it affirms the right of persons to determine the priority of their own needs.
a) Projects shall be proposed by authorized persons closely related to the project and shall be recommended to the Advance Committee by the administering programmatic unit.
b) The Advance Committee may consider and approve proposals for either specific projects or broadly designated causes, such as a type of work, a country, a region, or an administrative unit.
c) No project within the boundaries of an annual conference shall be approved by the Advance Committee for promotion, cultivation, and administration as an Advance Special without consultation with the resident bishop and the board or agency delegated to have responsibility for mission by the annual conference.
4. Administering Units. Units authorized to recommend projects and receive and administer funds for general Advance Special projects shall be the following designated programmatic units of the General Board of Global Ministries: Evangelization and Church Growth Program Area, Community and Institutional Ministries Program Area, Mission Contexts and Relationships Program Area, Mission Personnel Program Area, and the United Methodist Committee on Relief. The administering programmatic units shall report annually to the Advance Committee on the financial progress of projects and assist in providing programmatic information as requested.
Changes to ¶654, Conference Advance Programs
Amend ¶654.4 as follows:
“With the approval of the annual conference, a district within the conference may authorize and promote Advance Specials for church extension and missionary needs with the district, such funds to be administered by a district
missionary society committee on mission organized for that purpose or by a similar body set up by the district. Such special funds secured and administered on a district level shall be reported by each local church to the annual conference as conference Advance Specials.