Eliminate Option (81096-MH-¶633.4d)
d) Responsibilities with Campus Ministries – In addition to the general responsibilities listed above, the annual conference board of higher education and campus ministry
or equivalent structure shall have the following responsibilities with regard to campus ministry:
(1) To have available the names and addresses of all campus ministries supported by The United Methodist Church and to supply the names and addresses of campus ministries supported by the annual conference to all districts and churches.
(2) To ensure representation of the annual conference board
or equivalent structure on the boards of directors of all campus ministries supported by the annual conference.
(3) To interpret systematically to the districts, subdistricts, and local churches the conference program of campus ministry as a ministry to the whole campus (students, faculty, staff, and administration), encouraging their support and urging United Methodist students of all ages to participate.
(4) To support the development of the United Methodist Student Movement (UMSM) within the annual conference, including the organization of a UMSM student council and the appointment of a UMSM adviser, and to encourage student participation in the UMSM and other related student Christian organizations, both nationally and globally.
(5) To hold the Wesley Foundation board of directors responsible for the direction and administration of the foundation in accordance with the policies and objectives of the annual conference board of higher education and campus ministry
or equivalent structure and the standards of the Division of Higher Education of the General Board of Higher Education and Ministry.
(6) To ensure that the Wesley Foundation board of directors is related functionally and cooperatively to the United Methodist local church or churches in the immediate vicinity of the college or university and to the council on ministries or other organization of the district in which it is located.
(7) To determine whether or not Wesley Foundation boards of directors, when incorporated, may hold property and to ensure such property is held and administered according to the Book of Discipline of The United Methodist Church and the laws of the state in which the foundation is located.
(8) To determine the policies for nomination and election by the annual conference of Wesley Foundation boards of directors.
(9) To determine, in consultation with local boards of directors, the personnel needs of Wesley Foundations: to establish procedures for selection and termination of professional staff; and to consult with the bishop and cabinet when securing the appointment of ministerial staff members.
(10) To establish and review covenants and agreements for ecumenical campus ministry and to ensure that they are in harmony with the policies, standards, and goals of the Division of Higher Education and the annual conference board of higher education and campus ministry
or equivalent structure .
(11) To oversee the management of the annual conference program of campus ministry in Wesley Foundations, local churches, and ecumenical campus ministries; to determine where new campus ministries are needed, and to plan for their establishment and financial support.
(12) To provide resources for local churches and districts with programs of ministry or to campuses and, where these programs receive financial support from or are designated as ministries on behalf of the annual conference, to ensure that the policies, standards, and goals of the conference board of higher education and campus ministry
or equivalent structure are observed.
(13) To establish the procedures for the nomination and election of United Methodist college students as lay members to annual conference.
This proposal eliminates the option to replace Conference Boards of Higher Education and Campus Ministry with alternate structures. Experience has shown that alternate structures have not successfully fulfilled required board responsibilities over personnel, budget and policy matters. Furthermore, Conference Boards can relate directly to CCF&A and the annual conference.