¶ 342. Support for Elders in Full Connection Appointed to Pastoral Charges-To strengthen the effectiveness of the connectional system, assumption of the obligations of the itinerant ministry required upon admission to the traveling connection places upon the Church a counter obligation to provide adequate support for the entire ministry of the Church (¶ 619). The Church shall provide, and the ordained minister is entitled to receive, not less than the equitable compensation established by the annual conference for clergy members according to provisions of ¶ 624.3.26
1. Support for Elders in Full Connection Appointed to Pastoral Charges Who Render Full-Time Service-Each elder in full connection of an annual conference who is in good standing and who is appointed to full-time service under the provision of ¶ 338.1 shall have a claim upon the conference Equitable Compensation Fund and a right to receive not less than base compensation established by the annual conference for persons in full-time service.27
2. Support for Ordained Elders Appointed to Pastoral Charges Who Render Less than Full-Time Service-Each elder in full connection who is in good standing and who is appointed by the bishop to less than full-time service under the provisions of ¶ 338.2 shall have a claim upon the conference Equitable Compensation Fund in one-quarter increments according to the guidelines established by the annual conference commission on equitable compensation.
3. Notwithstanding anything herein to the contrary, the benefits provided to ordained ministers, in addition to the cash compensation, under the benefit programs administered by the General Board of Pension and Health Benefits may be different for ordained ministers serving full-time as pastors to local charges and for ordained ministers serving other types of appointments.
4. No pastor shall be entitled to any claim for unpaid base compensation against any church or charge served after pastoral connection with the church or charge has ceased.
26. See Judicial Council Decision 968.
27. See Judicial Council Decisions 579, 587, 968.