Discipline ¶315

Print this page
Section IV. License for Pastoral Ministry
  ¶ 315. License for Pastoral Ministry-All persons not ordained as elders who are appointed to preach and conduct divine worship and perform the duties of a pastor shall have a license for pastoral ministry. The board of ordained ministry (¶ 634.2g) may recommend to the executive session of the annual conference the licensing of those persons who are:
1. Probationary members commissioned by the annual conference, or
2. Local pastors who have completed the following:
    a) The conditions for candidacy certification in ¶¶ 311.1-3 and;
b) The studies for the license as a local pastor as prescribed and supervised by the Division of Ordained Ministry or one-third of their work for a Master of Divinity degree at a school of theology listed by the University Senate;
    c) Been examined and recommended by the district committee on ordained ministry (¶ 663.8); or
  3. Deacons in full connection, seeking to qualify for ordination as an elder; or
4. Licensed or ordained clergy from other denominations who have training equivalent to the studies for license as a local pastor prescribed by the Division of Ordained Ministry, but do not meet the educational requirements for probationary membership in the annual conference.
5. In every case, those who are licensed shall have:
    a) Released the required psychological reports, criminal background and credit checks, and reports of sexual misconduct and/or child abuse. They shall submit, on a form provided by the conference board of ordained ministry:
  (1) a notarized statement detailing any convictions for felony or misdemeanor or written accusations of sexual misconduct or child abuse; or  
(2) a notarized statement certifying that the candidate has not been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor, or accused in writing of sexual misconduct or child abuse.
    b) Been approved by the board of ordained ministry (¶ 634.2g);  
c) Provided the board with a satisfactory certificate of good health on a prescribed form from a physician approved by that board.