¶ 1416. Institutional Affiliation32-1. Approval by the senate is prerequisite to institutional claim of affiliation with The United Methodist Church.
2. Every effort shall be made by both the annual conferences and institutions to sustain and support each other, but identification of an institution with The United Methodist Church shall depend upon its approval by the senate. The senate shall provide adequate guidelines and counsel to assist institutions seeking initial or renewed affiliation.
3. Only institutions affiliated with The United Methodist Church through approval by the senate shall be eligible for funding by annual conferences, General Conference, general boards, or other agencies of The United Methodist Church.
4. To qualify for affiliation with The United Methodist Church, institutions must maintain appropriate academic accreditation.
5. Assessment of Church relationships shall be a part of the process for those institutions seeking approval of the senate for affiliation with The United Methodist Church. Inasmuch as declarations of Church relationships are expected to differ one from the other, and because of the diversity in heritage and other aspects of institutional life, declarations of Church relationship will necessarily be of institutional design.
32. See Judicial Council Decision 589.