¶ 1210. Global Young People’s Convocation-There shall be a Global Young People’s Convocation.
1. Purpose-The Global Young People’s Convocation shall be a global event held once every four years for the purpose of celebrating the mission and vitality of young people in The United Methodist Church, raising the joys and concerns of young people from the global community, developing young people as leaders for effective ministry in local churches and communities of faith, highlighting emerging trends in youth and young-adult ministry, and providing a common forum that embraces the global reality of the church.
2. Legislation-During the convocation there shall be opportunities for jurisdiction and central conference delegations and individuals to propose legislation in a forum known as the United Methodist Young People’s Legislative Assembly. The Legislative Assembly shall be made up of delegations as defined under “Voting members.” Legislation brought to the Assembly shall relate to issues of concern to young people. Legislation adopted by the Legislative Assembly may be referred to the Division on Ministries With Young People or sent to the General Conference of The United Methodist Church carrying the name “United Methodist Young People’s Legislative Assembly.”
All legislation, petitions, and programming must be in accordance with ¶ 806.9 and ¶ 806.10.
3. Membership-The membership of the United Methodist Young People’s Legislative Assembly shall be inclusive in nature and selected as follows:
a) Voting members
(1) 5 youth (ages 12-18) from each jurisdiction and 5 youth from each central conference according to the age definition of each central conference. These youth shall be elected at jurisdictional youth convocations or by central conference youth organizations in the year preceding the Global Young People’s Convocation.
(2) 5 young adults (ages 19-30) from each jurisdiction and 5 young adults from each central conference according to the age definition of each central conference. These young adults shall be elected by jurisdictional and central conference young-adult organizations.
(3) 2 adult workers with young people from each jurisdiction and 2 youth and young adult workers from each central conference. These adults shall be elected at jurisdictional youth and young-adult convocations (when appropriate) or by central conference youth organizations in the year preceding the Global Young People’s Convocation.
b) Nonvoting members (In all cases, nonvoting members will have the status of voice without vote.)
(1) Youth and young-adult members of the general agencies
(2) Members and staff of the Division on Ministries With Young People
(3) Additional members from jurisdictions, central conferences, and ecumenical partners
4. Expenses-The expenses for the Global Young People’s Convocation are to be borne by participants. It is strongly recommended that jurisdictions, central conferences, and annual conference councils on youth and young-adult ministries , or equivalent structures, secure funding for Convocation participants who are elected from said conference. A limited amount of need-based scholarships shall be made available through the Division on Ministries With Young People to promote the full participation of the body.